“Almost any farmer will tell you that deciding to end the life of one of your animals is a difficult choice. If you are a carnivore, however, there’s an undeniable honesty in making the choice to raise and butcher your own animals. However uncomfortable the decision may be, you know the source of your meat and you have an opportunity to be grateful to the animal.” —from Living With Goats
Before we began processing our own poultry, we had a lesson in humane animal butchery from a friend and fellow farmer. This hands on lesson was essential, and we now raise and butcher all our own poultry. We invite current and aspiring backyard poultry-keepers to visit the farm and learn our methods in this half-day hands-on small group workshop, Participants will observe how we set up, slaughter, clean, butcher, and prepare our meat chickens for freezing, and will be given the opportunity to participate in backyard poultry processing.
Attendees are welcome to take home one processed bird.
$50/person, $65/couple (couples share one bird)
COVID-19 Safety Protocols for Workshop:
- Wash your hands upon arrival at our new outdoor sink
- Visitors should plan to wear masks when visiting the farm, participating in the workshop, and interacting with our animals.
- The workshop will take place completely outdoors—please use the bathroom before arriving at the farm! (Our home bathroom will be available to guests in an emergency; a mask must be worn inside.)
- Workshop is limited to 4 guests
- We will fully refund any cancellation for illness, up to the scheduled time of the workshop
- Our safety waiver is now available online — by purchasing a ticket, you agree to the waiver for yourself and all members of your party, including any minors in your party. We ask that you share the link to the waiver with everyone accompanying you to the farm.
Cancellation policy: Workshop will take place rain or shine. If you are not feeling well on the day of the hike, please let us know, stay home, and we will fully refund your tickets. Other than for reasons of illness, we can’t issue refunds without at least 5 days notice.